Mini Hunger Course
Consequences of Hunger
For chronic hunger, life is not immediately threatened, but ability to function in
society is impaired.|
- Inability or reduced work effort disrupts family life & economic prospects.
- Disease threat increased. Anemia, VitA blindness.
- Child development impaired (special problem)
- Death: 1 in 10 before 1st birthday, 35K per day.
- Dev Impared: Stunted growth, brain development.
- Inability to Learn: Unable to concentrate in school. Affects chronic and cyclicly
A hungry child represents a lost opportunity. There no making up for it later,
the child and society is robbed of their potential.
Hunger is a basic need
which when unsatisfied, blocks out all other pursuits. A life spent chronically or
cyclically malnurished is a life of limit opportunity, sickness, and often premature
death. Hunger represents a basic denial of the opportunity for people to develope
to their potentials. It is a fundamental injustice. Even in a free country, a person
who is hungry is not free.